Coffee Lingo: Peaberry

peaberry-8

Peaberry: (n.) a coffee bean that just likes to chill by itself.

Coffee cherries normally develop with two seeds inside them, shaped like the familiar half-moon coffee beans you know and love. About 95% percent of beans like to grow this way – all cuddled up face to face inside the coffee fruit. But the other 5% are called peaberries. They just want to chill alone in their cherry, growing nice and round to fill out the space where there should have been a roommate bean. Pour out some of whatever beans you have handy and look for a smallish one that’s rounded on both sides. That’s a peaberry!

About La Colombe Coffee Roasters (512 Articles)
Take life to the next level. Everyone deserves cafe quality coffee, anywhere. #CafeAnywhere

6 Comments on Coffee Lingo: Peaberry

  1. coffee luva // October 7, 2015 at 2:59 am // Reply

    Todd, are you going to do another run of that Doi Chaang Peaberry?

    Like

  2. Does it taste different with the regular coffee cherries? Once I heard some people brew this peaberry only for their coffee. However I never heard from them directly.

    Like

    • No big difference in taste, but some roasters think the rounder beans roast more evenly so you get a more consistent flavor through the brew.

      Like

  3. I would say their is a slight difference in taste……i’ve always enjoyed peaberry beans.

    Like

  4. always meant to ask // May 15, 2016 at 4:02 pm // Reply

    How long do coffee beans last or stay fresh?

    Liked by 1 person

    • La Colombe // May 31, 2016 at 8:10 am // Reply

      As long as it’s stored in a dry, dark place in an airtight container, coffee doesn’t really “go bad.” But – the fresher the better! We notice that flavors start to drop off about two or three weeks after roasting.

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: