This Doi Chaang Peaberry is a rare single-estate, certified organic, shade grown, hand-picked, fresh water washed and sun-dried specialty coffee and one in which we are particularly pleased to offer. A massive passion project spearheaded by the work and vision of John M. Darch, a man with limitless drive to convert a down-on-its-luck village in Northern Thailand from oppressive opium farming to the farming and processing of coffee in the highest order. We are pleased to offer this coffee directly sourced and roasted to perfection.
A note from Mr. John M. Darch:
“In essence, we are committed to, and have brought, economic and environmental sustainability to the indigenous AKHA hill tribe and Doi Chaang Village through the following goals:
1. To eliminate the coffee grower’s cycle of poverty by promoting education and health care, encouraging cultural identity & pride and returning the majority of the revenues to the growers.
2. To sustain and expand coffee production without compromising quality control, the environment or the overall well-being of Doi Chang Village and the AKHA people.
3. To remain socially responsible in our business practices to ensure shared economic sustainability, viability and prosperity.
4. To have Doi Chaang coffee recognized as one of the finest coffees available and its name become synonymous with high ethical and sustainable business standards.”
Geek File on the Coffee
- COUNTRY: Thailand
- REGION: Golden Triangle
- FARM: Doi Chaang
- PROCESS: Natural
- VARIETY: Catuai, Caturra, Catimor
- ALTITUDE: 1200 – 1600 meters
- CUPPING NOTES: Spicy and earthy aromas give way to a creamy body, with flavors of dark bakers chocolate, roasted nuts, subtle stone fruit and tobacco in the finish.
Learn more – check out photos from the farm and purchase here.
Yep, this is good coffee. I’ve been to this area many times, and love good Doi Chang joe. Very glad to see somebody finally tapping into this area for their coffee. They have a real treasure in northern Thailand!
Is Doi Chaang going to do another run with you guys? Delicious coffee…