Try this delicious hack on a cashew milk hot or iced tea latte. Rather than simply blending cashew nuts with water to make a dairy free milk, we’re swapping plain water with flavorful steeped tea for an instant tea latte. Sounds good right?
Our Yunnan Breakfast Black tea is hearty, malty and welcomes rich flavors, sweeteners and spices. Want a stronger tea flavor? Steep 4 sachets instead of 3. And be sure to save the black tea sachets for a second steep to sip after you’ve made your way through the latte (just heat 8oz of water per sachet to 212 degrees and steep for 5 minutes).
Oh and we’re using cashew nut because they blend to make the dreamiest, richest milk (bonus: no straining needed).
- 1 cup cashews (raw, unroasted and unsalted)
- 3 cups water
- 3 sachets La Colombe Yunnan Breakfast Black Tea
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 pinch sea salt
Add cashews to an airtight container, cover with water and refrigerate for at least two hours (up to overnight) to soften for creamy texture. Once the cashews have soaked, drain the cashews and discard the water. Heat 3 cups of water to 212 degrees, add the 3 Yunnan Breakfast Black Tea Sachets and steep for 4 minutes. Remove the sachets (set aside), and let steeped tea cool to room temp. Once the tea has cooled, add the cashews, steeped tea, sea salt and maple syrup to a high-powered blender. Blend for several minutes until the milk is smooth. Serve immediately as an iced or hot latte, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. We recommend storing the latte in a mason jar as the cashew fat will separate and you will need to shake the container.
To make a hot cashew milk black tea latte, simply add the tea infused milk to a small pot on the stove over medium low heat and heat until simmering. Pour into cup and serve immediately.
To make an iced cashew milk black tea latte, simply pour the tea infused milk over ice and enjoy immediately as ice cubes can melt and dilute the latte. Note: Steep an extra pot of Yunnan Breakfast Black Tea, cool to room temp, pour into ice cube tray and freeze. Use these tea cubes with your latte for added tea flavor as they melt.
For additional flavor, we recommend the following sweeteners, spices and pure extracts. Just be sure to add before blending:
Sweeteners (swap out maple syrup and add below to taste):
- Honey (approx 2 tablespoons)
- Pitted dates (we recommend 2 but suggest you add and taste after blending to determine if you would like it sweeter)
Spices and Pure Extracts:
- Ground cinnamon (approx 1 teaspoon or more to taste)
- Ground green cardamom or broken green cardamom pods (approx. ½ to 1 teaspoon or more to taste) note that you may need to strain the milk if you use the whole pods
- Pure vanilla extract (approx ½ to 1 teaspoon or more to taste)
- Orange Blossom Water (approx. 2 teaspoons or more to taste)
Tahini (which will add a savory taste and make the latte a very rich)
Learn more about our Tea & Tisane collection by visiting our website.